Thursday, November 6, 2008

My Big Girl

Greg and I have debated how we are going to get Paige off of her pacifier which she affectionately refers to as her "mi-mi". When a child can carry on a conversation without removing it from her mouth, or flip it right side up without the use of her hands, she is entirely too old for it. The silly thing is, she still uses the 0-6 months ones and doesn't like the bigger ones.

While Greg was on the deer hunt, I tried to put her to bed without it one night because they were all lost. She seemed to understand that. She woke up at midnight traumatized. I got her back to sleep and she woke up at 1:30. This time there was no calming her. I decided it may not be worth the trauma to just go cold turkey.

Our new approach is to restrict it to bedtime. On Sunday, we told her that it was only for bed. Then, we had to stick to our guns and follow through- the hard part. There is something so satisfying about making our children happy that it is difficult to withhold something she wants so bad. But, we persevered. We distracted her all through sacrament and almost gave up twice.

When we got home, she beelined for her bed. So, the funny part is that I didn't specify sleep only, I merely said if she wants it, she has to suck on it in her bed. She quickly discovered that it didn't matter what time of day it is, if she sat in her bed, she could suck on it. I went with it. All week, she has been going into her room at random times to get a "hit".



Two days into it, she started getting sneaky. She came out of her room with her blanket over her mouth thinking I wouldn't know what was under there. She pretended to be a ghost and when I lifted up her blanket, there it was. I heard my door shut and went to open it. She locked it and sat behind it sucking on her mimi. Now, we are on day four and she is doing much better. She still claims to be tired so she can sit in her bed a little, but when she gets out, she leaves it there. Or, she brings it to me and says "don't need it, I'm a big girl". Hopefully, we can phase this thing out before the baby comes. Any advice would be most appreciated.

8 comments:

Cynthia said...

You're doing exactly what you need to be doing. It just takes time.

At least you CAN phase out a MiMi. Anna's thumb isn't optional equipment! LOL!

Heart Mommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heart Mommy said...

Sorry that deleted comment was mine... I just wanted to tell you that you ROCK... SOunds to me like you are doing everything right.

Megan said...

Oh I get so excited when you post stories about your kids! They are always so funny! I've always known Paige was one smart cookie--from the walking at nine months thing (wasn't it nine months?) I knew she was brainy. But sneaky? Wow. I'm impressed. Seriously. The lengths she will go to is both endearing and impressive, as well as annoying for you I am sure! I love that kid!

Lisa said...

I have nothing to add. Kooy still has binky and he'll be three this month. We couldn't find any the other day and the one we did had a hole in it so he didn't want it. Matt said "tough". I am a softy and bought some new ones when I went to the store. It's me. I know we could get rid of it if we really tried. We're still working on him sleeping in his own bed all night...one thing at a time. He's ready to be potty trained too. But I just dont' have the energy and patience right now to do it all. I'm such a good mom! :o)

Nicki Crockett said...

Lisa- if you are going through the pacifiers fast, we discovered the new cheapo ones at wal-mart that are shaped like the Nuk ones. They are only 96 cents for 2! She started chewing through them so much, we tried these ones and she adjusted.

Kelly Stoddart said...

yes Kyanna is a binky girl too, luckily we limited to betime awhile ago, however, we did lose it one time and just tried and then one night we saw it the grocerey store and we coulnt't resist it, we wanted a good nights sleep!

Merrilyn said...

Ok...I have no great advice because non of my babies would take a binkie even though I tried..and tried hard! However, my nephew was like three and still had the binky..he did all the same stuff, talked, ect with it in.(they had even made a rule that he couldnt leave the house with it so he would leave it right by the door they left so he could pop it back in when he got home). Anyway, waht finally worked was my sister having the "binky fairy" come. She had him gather up all the binkys he could find (she said he ended up finding WAY more than she ever realized she had) and then he left them for the fairy one night who came and took them to all the "poor babies" and left money in their place.

Anyway, maybe that will help. Good Luck! Merri