Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Dentist...Again

Today was Paige's dental appointment. Since she is so young, she had to be put under anesthesia. They distracted her with toys, then gave her a little shot to get started. They warned me about her reaction, but it was still a little freaky. She cried a little, then kind of went still and glossy-eyed. The took her to the back and I had to wait about an hour until they were done. When they brought me back to be with her, she was still out. It took a good hour for her to start really coming around. Once we got home, I had to keep her on the ground so she wouldn't try to walk. She has thrown up everything I've given her. It has been about 7 hours now, so she should have the majority of the effects wearing off. When Daddy called, she talked to him and it was the most I'd heard out of her all morning. She is getting her little personality back now. We cuddled on the couch and took a nap together. Preston has had fun playing with his friend Koleson all morning.

She now has caps on her front teeth and some fillings in the back. I feel like the worst parent from a hygiene perspective. We've spent a ton in the last two months on dental work for both kids. Needless to say, we have been MUCH more diligent about brushing, flossing, and not giving treats.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Oh that's horrible! I can't imagine how hard that would be to see her like that! Poor little Paigey!

Cynthia said...

Even I'M feeling traumatized! That poor little thing. And poor Mama too. I had to hand Logan over at 6 months old for surgery and it was so dang hard to let them take your baby and put them under. I'm so very glad it is over though- for you and her!

And no- you are not the worst Mama in the world. Keziah had to have similiar work done on her teeth for similar reasons. We all do the best we can with our circumstances and some things we have to learn the hard way. Don't beat yourself up about it.

The upside is that Tyson is going to have some seriously awesome teeth thanks to the experimenting with Preston and Paige! LOL!