Monday, September 1, 2008

Cherish Bound Convention

We had our convention for Cherish Bound this weekend at the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival.







We were able to hold our meetings on Friday and Saturday morning in a tent right on the park grounds. I gave a presentation about our customer service department since that is what I am in charge of. I answer all the email that comes into our support system or forward it to the appropriate person.

As I listened to Carol Rice talk about the power of story and the connections we help people make, I was reminded of the first night I heard her speak in 2003. I was so inspired that night. I remember coming home and not being able to sleep as I thought of all the books I wanted to make. I still love this company. I love their mission and the difference they are making with every book someone creates. There are plenty of photobook companies, but Cherish Bound is about more than that. They have stayed true to their original vision of helping people actually write their stories and provide so many tools to help with that. To this day I have published 18 books! I have covered my life from the day I met Greg all the way through my 2007 yearbook.

One of the best Christmas presents ever was the book my sisters and I did for Mom that was filled with memories of our childhood. The night we got together to talk about it was awesome because we all came together and laughed and enjoyed remembering our childhood. Then, when Mom opened her present and the tears streamed down her cheeks, we knew we had given her a great gift. The book is truly priceless and one of her treasures.







We spent the afternoons at the festival. The Timpanogos Festival has been around for 19 years! I had no idea. The park at the base of Provo canyon was built specifically for this festival so there is a place for everything. They get approximately 20,000 visitors, the second largest festival in the nation.

I was first introduced to the art of storytelling at our convention last year. I am a huge fan now. Watching these professionals is like watching a combination of stand up comedy, drama, and musician. There are several styles of tellers. I find I connect most with the personal narrative. I watch these tellers talk about their childhood and I realize that my stories are really boring. Oh well though, if I don't write them, no one else will. My favorites at the festival were Carmen Deedy (above) and Kevin Kling. Both keep you completely engaged for the entire story. Megan and Delayna came down for Saturday afternoon and we had a good time together.



The consultants and staff of Cherish Bound that attended the convention.



The final highlight was Laughin' Night on Saturday night at the Scera Shell theater. The place was completely packed. It was awesome. They had about 10 storytellers that each came out and shared one story. Their stories were incredible. I laughed so hard. The concert alone is worth going to every year.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Looks like a good time was had by all. I can't wait to get started writing our yearbooks- maybe next week? The books you've created will be something your kids and grandkids will cherish their whole lives. What a great legacy to leave.

Redhoodoos said...

Nickelodeon, I now wish I went to this convention! I really really do. I want to know more about storytelling - it looks like something I could geek out on. Fun!